- 1. DEWALT 20V MAX XR Impact Driver Kit, Brushless, 3-Speed, 1/4-Inch, Tool Only (DCF887B) – Best with Drill
- 2. BLACK+DECKER 20V MAX Impact Driver Kit (BDCI20C) – Best with Drill Bits
- 3. Makita XDT042 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Cordless Impact Driver Kit – Best with Torque Setting
- 4. MILWAUKEE ELEC TOOL 2760-20 M18 Fuel Hex Hydraulic Driver, 1/4″ – Best to Drive Screws
- 5. PORTER-CABLE 20V MAX Cordless Impact Driver Kit, 1/4-Inch, Tool Only (PCCK640LB) – Best with Two Batteries
- 6. Makita XDT131 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless Impact Driver Kit (3.0Ah) – Best with One Battery
- 7. DEWALT 20V MAX Impact Driver Kit, 1/4-Inch (DCF885C1) – Best with Light
- 8. Bosch GDR18V-1400B12 18V 1/4 In. Hex Impact Driver Kit – Best with Chuck
- 9. Milwaukee 2853-20 M18 FUEL 1/4″ Hex Impact Driver (Bare Tool)-Torque 1800 in-lbs – Best with Torque Control
- 10. Makita XST01Z 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless Oil-Impulse 3-Speed Impact Driver – Best without Battery
- Buyer’s Guide
The next generation of the best cordless impact drivers has arrived! If you have a huge task at hand that requires you to drive in a lot of screws at a real fast pace, and possibly through the thickest materials possible, this cordless impact driver review is specifically written for you!
As the name suggests, impact drivers have that ‘impact’ on the screws, thanks to the fast bit rotation and concussive blows that cause the screws to get driven inside the thickest and densest of woods and other materials really fast. The impact drivers are basically designed to deliver twice or thrice the torque as compared to the traditional drill drivers.
|Product||Speed Range, RPM||Voltage, V||Torque, in/lbs||Impacts/min, IPM|
|DEWALT 20V MAX XR DCF887B |
|0-1,000 / 2,800 / 3,250||20||2,000||0-3,800|
|BLACK+DECKER 20V MAX BDCI20C||0-3,000||20||1,375||0-3,900|
|Makita XDT042 18V LXT||0-3,400||18||1,500||0-3,600|
|MILWAUKEE ELEC TOOL 2760-20 M18||0-3,000||18||450||0-4,000|
|PORTER-CABLE 20V MAX PCCK640LB||0-2,900||20||1,400||0-3,100|
|Makita XDT131 18V LXT||0-3,400||18||1,500||0-3,600|
|DEWALT 20V MAX DCF885C1||0-2,800||20||1,400||0-3,200|
|Bosch GDR18V-1400B12 18V||0-2,800||18||1,400||0-3,600|
|Milwaukee 2853-20 M18 FUEL||0-3,600||18||2,000||0-4,300|
|Makita XST01Z 18V LXT||0-1,200 / 0-2,200 / 0-3,200||18||355||0-1,400 / 0-2,200 / 0-2,700|
1. DEWALT 20V MAX XR Impact Driver Kit, Brushless, 3-Speed, 1/4-Inch, Tool Only (DCF887B) – Best with Drill
This device is an improvement from the last model we had in the market which was much heavier. The DEWALT DCF887B is a versatile tool that can be used both in a professional workshop or at home. The tri speed settings make the device more precise for increased control. It has an inbuilt brushless motor which makes it quite reliable and efficient while in use. It is perfect for putting up cabinets, drawers as well as other woodwork projects. Most users claim that this device is perfect for building and training employees. It is also perfect for constant use and daily home use too.
This product is created and designed to be very safe when in use by its customers. It doesn’t overload and overheats too even with constant use. Not many products can withstand the load this device can take. When users buy this product, the package comes with two 20 volts Max XR Lithium batteries. These brilliantly engineered batteries are enhanced to give off longer run time and maximum performance. This device also comes with three LED bulbs that are powered by the batteries too. The handles have anti-slip prevention and the weight of this device reads about 7.25 pounds which is lightweight and convenient for long hours of use without fatigue.
- It is precise.
- It is efficient and has a very high-performance rate.
- It can act like a drill.
- It has 3-speed settings.
- It comes with excellent purchase protection.
- It comes with two batteries.
- The batteries are heavy.
- It is quite pricey.
The DEWALT DCF887B comes with big 4.0AH batteries which makes it contractor worthy capable of handling longer jobs. We loved the 3-speed settings on this impact driver and the one-handed chuck which worked seamlessly making but changing a breeze. The 3 LED lights it also came with makes it convenient for users to make use of the device even in dark environments.
2. BLACK+DECKER 20V MAX Impact Driver Kit (BDCI20C) – Best with Drill BitsThe cordless impact driver is one for the budget-conscious user that requires an impact driver from day to day activities. The sole purpose of using the BDCI20C is for everyday projects around the house which also when it comes to higher-level jobs, this device is the perfect tool to use. If you need more heavy or professional impact drivers, you may enjoy this tool but I still suggest you compare it to other products available in the market. One thing we know about this device though is that it doesn’t have advanced features such as the brushless motors but it is guaranteed to get the job done.
This product was manufactured and designed to weigh less while having a convenient size. This design mechanism makes it a much more comfortable experience when driving and the less stress imposed on the body, the more ergonomically the tool is. Its handy quick-release ¼ hex chuck makes it convenient and easy to change the bits just with a one-handed motion. This cordless impact driver weighs just around 3.6 pounds which is okay for overhead projects. It comes with a 1.5Ah battery which is quite small for longer operations.
- It is very affordable.
- It comes with a good warranty.
- It can deliver up to 1375 in-lbs of torque.
- It is compact and light.
- The motor is not brushless.
The BDCI20C model is manufactured and designed for users who are really conscious about their pockets but need a quality impact driver which can get the job done. Although it doesn’t have advanced features such as the brushless motor feature and the led lights, it is still a high-quality tool that most professionals still recommend.
3. Makita XDT042 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Cordless Impact Driver Kit – Best with Torque Setting
The Makita XDT042 is a cordless compact driver that makes loosening, tightening, screwing and driving bolts and nuts fast and easy when compared to using a ratchet or wrench. Visually, you would find out that this device is very compact and simple. When users pull the trigger, they will notice a smooth but powerful 18v motor at work. The engine of this device makes it so powerful that even rusty and stubborn nuts are easily overpowered by the engine and the right driver accessory. These are the types of tools that are created to be used daily and professionally. This is backed up by its numerous speed settings and its brushless motor.There are 4-speed settings which include bolt and wood nodes and also 2 tightening nodes that prevent faster stripping and breakage. Once users get hold of this device, these nodes can help them perform countless tasks with similar results. When users purchase this cordless compact driver, it comes with two 5.0ah batteries which improve operation time. It also comes with a hard case and a rapid Charger so your device gets juiced on time.
- It comes with two batteries.
- The lights can be turned off to preserve the battery.
- Just one touch speed selector above the trigger.
- It is compact and lightweight.
- It has 4-speed settings.
- The numerous settings can cause confusion sometimes.
The XDT042 is one of Makita’s prominent cordless power tools which makes every worker, contractor or home owner’s job very much easier. The company’s positive reputation as a high-quality manufacturer of power tools makes this product one of the best cordless impact drivers on the list.
4. MILWAUKEE ELEC TOOL 2760-20 M18 Fuel Hex Hydraulic Driver, 1/4″ – Best to Drive Screws
One of the best features we love about this cordless impact driver is that it is sleek and lightweight. It has a comfortable operation and grip which makes it stand out amongst its peers. The MILWAUKEE 2760-20 uses a hydraulic drive technology which removes metal on metal contact making this device one of the quietest one in the history of cordless drivers. It has two-speed options that make it run efficiently and smoothly regarding the task you have at hand. This device also requires minimal torque and because this is sustained much longer, it can drive tough fasteners faster.
When a user purchases this device, they get to understand why the two 5.0ah lithium battery it comes with makes it one of the most durable drivers you can use during operation. Charging is very fast at only fifteen minutes and you are good to go. The 2760-20 model also comes with flashlights that illuminated the area where the user is working. It also has a belt hook for contractors who need to use it constantly.
- It has a one-handed chuck operation.
- It is one of the most silent drivers out there.
- It comes with two 5.0ah batteries.
- It has variable speeds that can be adjusted.
- It is very expensive.
- It has just one LED.
Although most people can get it cheaper at some places but the overall price of this product is generally on the high side. Especially for people who plan on using it for odd and inconsistent jobs or weekend projects. For professionals and contractors, nothing beats the performance and quality of this drill and from the looks of this compact but innovative design, I do recommend it.
5. PORTER-CABLE 20V MAX Cordless Impact Driver Kit, 1/4-Inch, Tool Only (PCCK640LB) – Best with Two Batteries
One thing that made us love this cordless impact driver is the fact that there is so much speed and torque found inside a small lightweight tool. This porter cable device has a great ½ inch quick hex change feature which allows its users to make use of their one hand during operations.it also comes with an LED light that automatically switches on when you pull the trigger and also automatically switches off immediately users release the trigger. The PCCK640LB model has a variable speed control system that can change speeds from 0 – 2,800 RPM and torque that peaks at about 1,450 inch-lbs. this is convenient for driving any fastener it ever comes across.
This device comes with two 1.3ah batteries which ensure that you aren’t out of juice anytime you are caught in between jobs. The charger is quite fast as well. It can charge just under 40 mins but other users reported just taking 15 minutes and you are good to go. This tool is so easy and comfortable to use especially when installing cabinets and shelves. This is because it doesn’t cause fatigue to its users. It is used by both professionals and DIYers.
- High performance and efficient use.
- It is very affordable.
- It comes with two batteries.
- It is very lightweight and compact.
- It is suitable for one-handed operation.
- The trigger powered LED light is not convenient.
- There is no battery gauge.
The Porter-Cable PCCK640LB is the company’s least expensive driver which gives users all the basic features which are required to handle a project. From the above, we can see that this device is very sturdy and well built and it will not fail you anytime you need it. I recommend.
6. Makita XDT131 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless Impact Driver Kit (3.0Ah) – Best with One Battery
The Makita XDT131 is a classic cordless impact driver kit which is needed in every woodworking household or venture. This product gives users and professionals maximum performance and versatility with an efficient Brushless motor which saves over 50% of the power for longer run time. This kit comes with a 3.0ah battery which takes just about 30 minutes to charge fully. The battery also makes it possible for this Makita cordless impact driver to fasten and drive screws such as TEK screws, lag bolts, cabinet screws, and so much more.
This product is ideal for electricians, construction workers, woodworkers, homeowners, remodelers and anyone who wants to use the best-in-class cordless impact driver. The engine of this device is a powerful one, with about 18V, the engine is powerful enough to produce a torque of about 1,500 inch-lbs. The device is also very light in weight. It weighs just about 3.3 pounds meaning it can be used to conveniently handle overhead tasks. It comes with an in-built LED light that provides illumination for users in a dark environment.
- It has a very compact and lightweight design.
- It is suitable for ¼” hex chuck for bit changes.
- It is very comfortable during use.
- It is made up of an aluminum housing which provides more durability.
- Most users complained that the variable speed is hard to control.
This Makita product is a really efficient one. This kit includes the device, an efficient battery, a charger and a tool bag for safekeeping. I don’t think most power tool companies can do it like Makita. It gives users and even professionals all the power, torque and mechanism to drive screws and bolts in a professional way. I do recommend it.
7. DEWALT 20V MAX Impact Driver Kit, 1/4-Inch (DCF885C1) – Best with Light
The DEWALT DCF885C1 features a compact but lightweight device that weighs about 2.8 lbs and can fit into perfectly right areas. This model is reserved for engineers and professionals who want to get the job done but not at the cost of fatigue. This device improves visibility during operation due to the 3 LED in-built lights which are a 20 seconds delay mechanism when the trigger is released. The DCF885C1 offers one-handed loading with ¼” hex chuck that accepts 1” bit tips. This means that users can change the bits easily using just one-handed operation.
The motors of this impact driver are surely brushless and it can deliver torques of up to 1,400 in-lbs and no-load speeds of up to 2,800 rpm which is enough to drive any rusty or stubborn bolts, screws and nails with wouldn’t bulge. One thing we loved about this product or rather DEWALT product is the reliability each product carries and when it comes to the DCF885C1 it is no different. For added safety and rest of mind, this model comes with about 3 years limited warranty. When users purchase this device kit, they are sure guaranteed to get a DCF885 impact driver, a fast charger, 20V max battery and a DEWALT bag for conveying the tools easily from one place to the other.
- It comes with 3 LED lights.
- It is compact and lightweight.
- It comes with a 3 years limited warranty.
- It has a very effective and powerful motor.
- Most users complained about the battery provided.
The DCF885C1 is an impact driver kit that provides its users with all the necessary tools, equipment, and accessories needed for any project. One thing we loved about this device was the design, it is very compact and lightweight and it can also be used in tight areas for a longer period of time due to its size and weight. I do recommend this device kit.
8. Bosch GDR18V-1400B12 18V 1/4 In. Hex Impact Driver Kit – Best with Chuck
Bosch has always been one of the best producers of power tools that can be found all around the world. The company’s reputation has skyrocketed their presence in most homes and with the GDR18V-1400B12 kit, you can see why this device comes out as one of the best impact drivers to be in the market. This driver kit due to its compact design and 1,400 lbs of max torque is an ergonomic tool for professional-grade fastening applications. With no load impacts of up to 0 – 3,600 rpm and drive in speeds of up to 0 – 2,800, you can tell that the motor of this device is a serious one.
This cordless impact driver kit features a Bosch hammer and anvil system which is made to concentrate all the torque to the tool, not to the person using it. The device features a nicely balanced compact impact design in which the head length of the device measures just about 5.9 inches and a weight of only 2.3 lbs without the batteries in place. It also has a strong grip handle for easy comfort during use. This device has a quick change ¼” hex chuck system which provides power grove for innovative but grip and easy changes. The GDR18V-1400B12 kit comes with an impact driver, 18v fast Charger and 18v 2.0ah battery for longer operations.
- It is reliable.
- It has powerful brushless motors.
- It adopts a hammer and anvil system which increases efficiency.
- It is compact and lightweight too.
- It is convenient for just home use.
This Bosch driver features a reliable impact driver design which has a performance-optimized 18v motor that provides maximum torque, control, and speed. From what we observed, this impact driver is only convenient for homeowners. It doesn’t have the maximum driving force for commercial or more complicated jobs. I recommend.
9. Milwaukee 2853-20 M18 FUEL 1/4″ Hex Impact Driver (Bare Tool)-Torque 1800 in-lbs – Best with Torque ControlThe Milwaukee 2853-20 model is said to be the fastest yet the most compact and powerful device of its class. It measures just about 4.9 inches in length and this makes it more convenient for users as well as professionals to have more access when it comes to tight spaces. One thing we love about this device is the 4-mode drive control which hypes greater control compared to the speed and power. This feature provides its users with unlimited professional control which can handle the power and speed for greater versatility.
There is a self-tapping screw in this device which results in providing faster installation by reducing the strip of the fasteners for more convenience. This device comes with brushless motors, the power state brushless motor can provide its users with an extra 30% faster drive speed positively affecting productivity. Another feature that intrigues us about this cordless impact driver is the presence of an in-built REDLINK PLUS intelligence. This makes sure that the device is in optimal performance and the overload protection also helps prevent damage to the battery of the device as well as the tool during heavy applications.
- It has a power state brushless motor.
- It has a 4-mode drive control for increased control.
- It is very compact and lightweight.
- It is the best cordless impact driver of its class.
- Most users complained that it is badly designed.
- Others complained about the chuck being loosed.
The 2853-20 model is a great choice for people who require much power. Although it may have some design flaws, this product is known to serve both newbies and experts so well. Well, for one thing, it is produced and sold by a reputable company so you can contact them if the purchase goes the wrong direction.
10. Makita XST01Z 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless Oil-Impulse 3-Speed Impact Driver – Best without Battery
Manufactured and sold by one of the world’s best innovative leaders in the brushless motor technology, the Makita XST01Z is 18v LXT Lithium-ion Oil impulse brushless cordless 3-speed impact, driver. This impressive device knows the game when it comes to fastening with all the speed, ergonomics and power advantage the tool has which professionals, homeowners, and even contractors demand. This device is also known to be significantly low during operation and use.
This device features an oil impulse technology that makes use of oil viscosity to hydraulically drive the impact system for just 30% less noise. It also comes with 3-speed settings coupled with Quick-shift mode which provides its users with precise but accurate control for various applications. The battery of this product, however, is not included and it weighs about 3.2 lbs together with the battery.
- It is compact and ergonomic.
- It has 3-speed settings.
- It has a rubberized grip for increased comfort.
- It has an oil impulse technology which ensures less noise during operation.
- It is not convenient for long term operation.
- Most users complained that it tends to break the bolt.
This device is definitely not recommended for heavy-duty jobs but lighter ones which come around the house. If you are a homeowner, you can consider getting this tool but if you work professionally and you want to use it for long term operations, try as much as possible to stay away from the device.
Important about impact drivers
Impact drivers are cordless drills. This means that while using them, one can bid goodbye to the annoying experience of tangled wires.
While working with the best impact driver, users will hardly feel the strain on their wrists as the force that is required to be exerted on the screws is delivered by the impact driver only.
It is true that impact drivers are not as artistic as the drill drivers, but then they are not supposed to be that way. Their primary task is to help the screw hull into the wood or other material in a fast and furious way.
Some important things that everyone should know before making a choice about the best cordless impact driver are mentioned below.
- All impact drivers are loud. You cannot expect to find an impact driver that would do the job quietly.
- All impact drivers have hex drive chucks. This means that you can only use hex shaft bits with these drivers. If you have a set of circular bits, you can look at giving them away to a friend who still uses the old drill machines.
Let us quickly check out some of the cordless impact driver reviews to understand which one will suit your needs the most.
Features of an impact driver
To handle the toughest jobs you must need a strong impact driver with huge capacity. But before having your own impact driver, check for some major features that needed to complete any kind of heavy-duty task. There are lots of different brands and models are available in the market so you need to take this decision properly after thorough research. Buying the right impact driver is actually an investment to complete some difficult task so it is necessary to take the decision properly after knowing all the matters of the right impact driver.
The first thing you need to consider while buying an impact driver is its torque. To put is easily torque is actually the power and strength of the power tool. Torque measured in pounds per inch or in the –lbs. This is actually the power pounds that actually the power motor plants out per inch. So you want to have a powerful impact driver go for a highly powerful torque with high –lbs. a smaller and less powerful impact driver has 700 –lbs. power or a bigger impact driver has 700 pounds torque. There are several brands in the market that manufacture highly powerful construction tools with a high level of torque.
The next thing you need to consider is the speed of the impact driver. The best combination for a great impact driver is a higher level of torque and maximum level of speed. Speed measured here in RPM or by the revolution per minute. This is actually the number of times the bit spin around in a minute. Always look for an impact driver with a high level of RPM to get the best ever performance from your machine. That will help you to drive the long screws through any tough materials at a faster rate. An impact driver with a minimum of 2200 or more powerful RPM is best for heavy-duty tasks.
It is necessary to check out the matter of IPM or the IPM. It actually blows per minute or impacts per minute. Generally, it is the maximum amount of impacts or blows that the driver puts out, which is truly important to have the right construction tool. The highest BPM/IPM faster one can drive the drill holes or the drive screws. For a heavy-duty impact, 2500 BPM/IPM or more is always better.
Most of the new generation impact drivers are cordless but some have the cords. With the cord impact driver, you will have the recharging batteries but most people prefer the cordless one due to the design of work. Voltage is the actual indicator of voltage here. Impact drivers come with different types of voltage and the right one contains a higher level of voltage consumption power.
The next thing to consider as the feature of an impact driver is the weight and size. Usually, people prefer the lightweight and smaller size impact driver. Size and weight matter a lot while you are doing a heavy-duty task.
The handle of the impact driver is very much important as it is easy to grasp. If you have the easy holding power then you can use it easily even for a tough job. Choose the model that covered with non-slip rubber to work most smoothly.
Another important part of an impact driver is its battery. For long battery life, it is recommended to use a high-quality battery. It is best to use the lithium-ion batteries as these are long-lasting.
Powerful LED lights of an impact driver enhance the visibility tremendously. There are also other great convenience and comfort features of impact drivers for heavy-duty tasks.
While looking for the best cordless impact driver, you would come across a number of tools that would be promising enough for your requirements. To get your hands on the best one that suits your needs, you need to go through various cordless impact driver reviews, which will let you know about the pros and cons of the various impact drivers that are available in the market. While local tool stores are a good option to get the best impact driver at a reasonable price, you can also try checking online shops like Amazon where you can fancy your chances of getting hefty discounts on these powerful tools as well. We hope this review helped you make your choice and we are very glad to assist you.