- 1. DEWALT 20V MAX XR Impact Wrench Kit, Brushless, High Torque, Detent Anvil, 1/2-Inch (DCF899P1) – Best for Cars
- 2. Milwaukee 2763-22 M18 1/2″ Inch Impact Wrench – Best for Screws
- 3. Ingersoll Rand W7150-K1 ½” Hi-Torque Impact One Battery Kit – Best for Lug Nuts
- 4. Makita XWT08Z LXT Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless High Torque Square Drive Impact Wrench, 18V/1/2″ – Best for Rusted Bolts
- 5. Milwaukee 2767-20 M18 Fuel High Torque 1/2-inch Impact Wrench with Friction Ring – Best for Changing Tires
- 6. DEWALT DCF880HM2 20-volt MAX Lithium-Ion 1/2-Inch Impact Wrench Kit with Hog Ring – Best for Motorcycle
- 7. Makita XWT11Z 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless 3-Speed 1/2″ Sq. Drive Impact Wrench – Best to Tighten Lug Nuts
- 8. PORTER-CABLE 20V MAX Impact Wrench, 1/2-Inch (PCC740B) – Best for the Home Mechanic
- 9. Ryobi P261 18 Volt One+ 3-Speed 1/2 Inch Cordless Impact Wrench w/ 300 Foot Pounds of Torque and 3,200 IPM – Best with Adjustable Torque Setting
- 10. Neiko 10878A 20 V Lithium-Ion Cordless Impact Wrench with Li-Ion Battery, Fast Charger and Socket Adapters Set – Best with Two Batteries
- Buyer’s Guide
Identical in size and shape to a cordless drill, these power-driven tools help users save their time and effort on stubborn bolts, lug nuts, etc. An impact wrench works by spinning a chunk within the unit either by using electricity (cordless) or air (corded) then quickly joining it to the anvil which is the part that is connected to the socket. Since this force doesn’t stay fixed in the shaft, you would not experience the high twisting power of the device. Instead, this is then channeled to the stubborn nut.
I have included a range of options when it comes to cordless impact wrench so you can find the best model that suits your project’s needs. Below is the best Impact wrench anyone can find on the market.
|Product||Speed Range, RPM||Voltage, V||Max Torque, in/lbs||Impacts/min, IPM||Weight, lbs|
|DEWALT 20V MAX XR DCF899P1 |
|0-400 / 1,200 / 1,900||20||700||2,400||7.2|
|Milwaukee 2763-22 M18||0-325 / 0-1,700||18||700||2,300||16.2|
|Ingersoll Rand W7150-K1||1,900||20||780||-||6.8|
|Makita XWT08Z 18V LXT||0-900 / 0-1,000 / 0-1,800||18||740||0-1,800 / 0-2,000 / 0-2,200||7.9|
|Milwaukee 2767-20 M18||0-550 / 1,400 / 1,750 / 1,750-750||18||1,000||0-950 / 1,750 / 2,100 / 2,100||5.9|
|DEWALT DCF880HM2 20-volt MAX||2,300||20||1,824||2,700||9.05|
|Makita XWT11Z 18V LXT||0-1,600 / 0-2,100 / 0-2,800||18||210||0-1,800 / 0-2,600 / 0-3,500||3.8|
|PORTER-CABLE 20V MAX PCC740B||1,650||20||330||2,500||4.6|
|Ryobi P261 18 Volt One+||2,900||18||3,600||3,200||3.45|
|Neiko 10878A 20 V||3,000||20||300||3,500||10.65|
1. DEWALT 20V MAX XR Impact Wrench Kit, Brushless, High Torque, Detent Anvil, 1/2-Inch (DCF899P1) – Best for Cars
This DEWALT impact wrench is an early contender and it is no doubt one of the best impacts wrenches on this just. That sentence may seem too arrogant but let’s quickly dive into the design and features which makes this product appear on this list. For starters, this product comes with a 20V brushless motor. We would list a few points why brushless motors are more sort after down below the buyer’s guide but for now, acknowledge the fact that this feature can be found on this impact wrench. It comes with ½ inch anvil which gives the device able to generate up to 700lb-ft of torque and a max breakaway torque of 1,200lb-ft.The RPM is also impressive clocking at 1,900 with a 3-speed setting which allows users to have more control despite the reputation of these types of tools. It also has an LED light which is useful for dark places. The DCF899P1 is built to last and it is also one of the toughest impact drills out there. The company claims that each product can survive a 6-foot drop but we would advise that you do not regularly test this out, it is better safe than to be sorry.
- It comes with brushless motors.
- Has a three-speed selector for more control.
- It can produce torques of up to 700ft/lb.
- It comes with LED work light.
- It comes with ½” anvil with detent pin.
- It is a bit pricey.
This model of impact wrench no doubt is the best product out there which both professionals and newbies will appreciate for a long period of time. Although this product is a bit pricey, it is worth the extra bucks for a high-quality device. I recommend.
2. Milwaukee 2763-22 M18 1/2″ Inch Impact Wrench – Best for Screws
This Milwaukee impact wrench posses as one of the best-designed products in the market today in regards to power and capabilities, that’s why it enters our top 10 best impact wrenches. This product is capable of giving off at least 700ft-lbs for maximum fastening torque while at least 1,100ft-lbs for maximum breakaway torque. It combines simplicity and innovative design into one big amazing device with the thoughtfulness terminating from the company that manufactured the product. Milwaukee also made socket changes easier by including a ½ inch anvil.
2763-22 also comes with brushless motor technology which is designed into the engine of this device. It helps users run their impact wrenches with the help of amazing power output while still running cool for an extended period of time.
- It can produce torques of up to 700ft-lbs.
- It is compact and lightweight in design.
- It comes with brushless motors.
- It has no wearable component.
- Comes with ½” anvil for easier socket changes.
- It is expensive.
- It is a bit large in size.
The 2763-22 model is one of the best wrenches you can ask for today in the market. Coming from a very reputable company, there is no doubt that this device can handle or carry out any pressure thrown at it. I do recommend this product.
3. Ingersoll Rand W7150-K1 ½” Hi-Torque Impact One Battery Kit – Best for Lug Nuts
The brand is not well known amongst users and customers who are specialized in handling power tools but we would try as much as possible to give our honest reviews. When we first looked into this device, we thought it would not even be close to any of the devices here in terms of performance but surprisingly, it did let alone surpass most tools in this list. Although this tool is not recommended primarily for professionals, it was a bit wonderful when this Ingersoll Rand product was providing a high-end impact wrench for domestic uses. The motors of this device can give a maximum reverse torque of about 780ft-lbs and a nut-busting torque of about 1,100ft-lbs. Not all impact wrenches are able to provide that kind of power.
It is made up of a durable aluminum casing which makes it possible for the tool to weigh just under 7 pounds resulting in its easy portability. This model is also perfect for heavy-duty jobs like railway jobs, shipbuilding, etc. One thing we didn’t like the product was the fact that it cannot be easily operated and also it is not versatile in use. It does have a lot of firepowers but it lacks most of the features that make it easy to use eg. LED lights and convenient speed selectors.
- It is built to be very durable.
- It is very compact and lightweight.
- It is a budget-friendly device.
- It has a powerful reverse torque too.
- It doesn’t come with an LED light.
- It doesn’t have a speed selector mechanism.
Although the Ingersoll Rand Brand is not as famous and well known as the Milwaukee, Porter-Cable or the DEWALT brands, it still gives it’s users a tool that surpassed most of these prominent brands. Although it doesn’t come with versatile features, it is still a great option when it comes to getting an impact wrench.
4. Makita XWT08Z LXT Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless High Torque Square Drive Impact Wrench, 18V/1/2″ – Best for Rusted BoltsThe Makita XWT08Z is an electronically-controlled BL Brushless Motor device that efficiently uses energy to match the RPM and the torque to the changing demands of the application. This device can deliver maximum reverse torque of up to 740ft-lbs and fastening torques of up to 1,180 ft-lbs. The breakaway torque has speed control and extended run time for an optimal fastening performance. This model comes with a 3-speed power selector switch which gives users the ability to have more precise control. It is recommended for both professional and DIY enthusiasts such as steel and ironworkers, railway mechanics, carpenters, etc.
This device features a compact and lightweight design. Weigh at about 7.9lbs with the battery, this device just measures about 9″ which is convenient for tight space operation. This Makita product is powered by an 18V Lithium-Ion battery which is not included in the original package therefore it needs to be purchased separately. The batteries, however, are fast during charge. It also comes with LED lights for convenience.
- It has brushless motors.
- It comes with LED lights for easy operation.
- It has a compact but lightweight design.
- The motor can produce torques of up to 740ft-lbs.
- The hog ring is a bit laggy.
Makita made this tool for professionals, newbies, DIY enthusiasts, and power tool workers. It is a very nice tool despite it may lack in a few areas. However, the company got you covered with a replacement or refund policy. I recommend this product.
5. Milwaukee 2767-20 M18 Fuel High Torque 1/2-inch Impact Wrench with Friction Ring – Best for Changing Tires
Next is the Milwaukee impact wrench and this 2767-20 model is very powerful when it comes to any job that is thrown at it. This impact wrench uses a friction ring which removes rusted bolts or stubborn nuts by delivering speeds of up to 1,000ft-lbs for fastening torque and up to 1,400ft-lbs of busting nut torque. This power is enough to remove any but or bolt that it comes across. The device implements a 2X faster removal speed which would enable users to get the job done faster increasing daily productivity.
This device is very compact and lightweight. Weighing just 6.64 pounds without the battery, the industry’s most compact impact wrench measures just about 8.39 inches which is convenient when it comes to using around tight spaces. It has 4-speed drive control which gives users the best control when fastening bolts. One thing that made us love this product is the fact that it has a “Bolt Removal Mode”. This mode gives users be maximum speed and control it needs then slowing down the system to 750 RPM once the but has been loosening a bit. This tool provides quick tool-free socket changes that have a ½ inch friction ring anvil. A rubber covering is applied to some parts of this device to enhance durability.
- It has 4-speed settings.
- It is very compact and lightweight.
- It has redlink plus intelligence which prevents batteries from overlooking or overheating.
- It has a function ring for easy socket changes.
- Bolt Removal mode prevents smart bolt removal without damaging the bolt.
- Most users complained about customer care.
The Milwaukee 2767-20 is a product that has all the features of an impact wrench, while also adding some convenient innovations to help users achieve their desired results. Personally, I believe that this tool is a great one but users have to be careful when purchasing because of customer care.
6. DEWALT DCF880HM2 20-volt MAX Lithium-Ion 1/2-Inch Impact Wrench Kit with Hog Ring – Best for Motorcycle
DeWALT products are one of the most trusted power tools you can ever find anywhere in the market and the DCF880HM2 model is no exception when it comes to the best impact wrench out there. This device features a compact and lightweight design with lengths of about 5.70″ and a weight of about 3.4lbs. You can say this is one of the lightest devices we have on this list and its small nature makes it convenient for small tight spaces. This model comes with 3 LED lights that come with 20 seconds delay after you release the trigger. This device also has a hog ring anvil which makes socket changing very easy.
With a drive size of about ½ inch-square, this product is conveniently covered with a textured anti-slip comfort grip that offers maximum control and comfort upon use. This product is powered by an XR Li-Ion battery with fuel gauge which provides about 33% more power compared to most battery packs. The DCF880HM2 model is convenient for fastening and driving fasteners on concrete, wood as well as metal surfaces. When users purchase this product, it comes with a charger, two 4.0ah battery power pack and a kit box for safekeeping.
- It comes with 3 LED lights for easy operation.
- It comes with hog ring anvil for easy socket change.
- It has a compact and lightweight design.
- It comes with standard power batteries which deliver 33% more charge.
- Most users complain about the power output of this device.
- It is not recommended for professionals.
Dewalt rarely does disappoint when it comes to their power tool products and that I can attest to. Although it may have some ups and downs, this product is one that can conveniently handle medium to low-level torque requirements. I totally recommend.
7. Makita XWT11Z 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless 3-Speed 1/2″ Sq. Drive Impact Wrench – Best to Tighten Lug Nuts
This Makita device combines maximum speed and extended run time for an amazing fastening performance. It comes with three-speed settings coupled with reverse rotation auto-stop mode which stops rotation in the device in less than two seconds after the bolt is being unfastened making this product convenient for automotive engineers and installation professionals. It comes with Makita’s original 18V Lithium-Ion slide-style battery. The batteries also charge very fast too so you would spend more time working than charging.
For extended battery and improved device performance, the manufacturers of this product created a star protection computer control system. This system is a communication tech that allows real-time data exchange between the tool and the battery to monitor and protect it from factors that might destroy the device like overheating, overloading and discharging.
- It has a compact weight and design.
- It comes with the original Lithium-Ion battery pack.
- It has a star protection computer control system.
- It comes with a reverse rotation auto-stop mechanism.
- It doesn’t have enough torque.
The Makita XWT11Z is a BL brushless motor device that delivers about 210ft-lbs of max torque. Although this device is not as powerful as the most impact wrench, it is still a good choice for light use applications. The battery is also a unique one.
8. PORTER-CABLE 20V MAX Impact Wrench, 1/2-Inch (PCC740B) – Best for the Home MechanicThe PCC740B is an ideal cordless impact wrench that features a powerful motor that can produce about 330ft-lbs of torque for heavy applications. It also gives its users a maximum of 1,650 rpm for driving large nuts very quickly also integrated with a variable speed trigger for precise control. The ½” anvil hog ring also makes it possible for customers to make easy and quick socket changes. The battery, on the other hand, is a feature Porter-Cable should be proud of. It comes with a pro-grade Lithium battery for long life and optimal performance, also with an led light that helps users see in the dark during operation.
This product was designed by the manufacturers with safety as their main aim. That is why it is designed with a chemical resistant coating for users who run an automotive business. The rubber mold also offers grip to the user during operation. This device is compact and lightweight, weighing just 6.0lbs and measuring about 9.9″.
- Comes with 1/2″ anvil for easy socket change.
- It features an Led light.
- It is very compact and can be used in tight areas.
- If comes with a variable speed trigger control.
- It is not a commercial tool.
PCC740B is a great tool for domestic and small scale jobs. It has most of the functions a standard impact wrench has but this is not a commercial tool so it is not recommended if you plan on heavy use. But for lightweight jobs, this is your guy.
9. Ryobi P261 18 Volt One+ 3-Speed 1/2 Inch Cordless Impact Wrench w/ 300 Foot Pounds of Torque and 3,200 IPM – Best with Adjustable Torque Setting
The Ryobi P261 is an important tool for a DIYer/homeowner. Even construction sites, you may need to install lag bolts into your woodwork or you may as well remove lug nuts from your vehicle. This device is the perfect tool for these types of heavy-duty operations. This device has a 3-speed selector that allows users to adjust impacts per minute from 0 – 3,200. The P261 model is manufactured to be compact and lightweight coated with a rubber overgrip so that users would avoid dropping it.
Users also don’t have to be afraid of the dark because there is an in-built led light which is located at the chuck. This lighting helps you work even in the dark. With all these features, you can tell that this product is ready for work just when it is taken out of the box. You just have to purchase batteries separately too.
- It is a compatible impact wrench.
- It has 3-speed selectors for versatility.
- It comes with an LED light for visual assistance.
- It doesn’t come with batteries.
- It is a refurbished product.
However, we didn’t like two things about this product. First was the fact that it didn’t come with batteries. Secondly is the fact it is a refurbished product. But either way, it is one that would help you handle your project better. I do recommend.
10. Neiko 10878A 20 V Lithium-Ion Cordless Impact Wrench with Li-Ion Battery, Fast Charger and Socket Adapters Set – Best with Two Batteries
This device is a heavy-duty powerful device with a motor that produces up to 300ft-lbs of maximum torque and a no-load speed of 0-3000 RPM which means high performance on stubborn screws, nuts, and bolts. Users can also take control with this device’s torque with a variable speed trigger which can be easily accessible by a forward or reverse switch at the side of the head. This product also has a belt hook at the base for easy conveying, a rubber coating for increased grip and protection.
This product comes with batteries and a fast charger. It also features a battery indicator light that shows users the battery gauge which reads at 100%, 75%, 50% or 25%. When users buy this product, it comes with a sturdy storage case which helps them keep and organize their tools.
- It is compact and lightweight.
- Coated with rubber to improve safety and ergonomics.
- It comes with battery indicators.
- It features variable speed control.
- It doesn’t have enough power.
- It doesn’t come with a lot of sockets.
This product is impressive, at least for its price. It is not recommended for professionals because it lacks power compared to other products. It is specifically designed for use at home therefore it is recommended for homeowners or people with medium to small projects.
What is an impact wrench used for?
Impact wrenches have various functions but the primary function of this tool is put in and take out nuts bolts, screws, fasteners and other parts on the vehicle, bikes, trucks as well as boats and aircraft. Due to the nature of this device, it is mostly used by automotive professionals for changing car parts like tires and wheels.
Are these Devices any Good?
Cordless impact wrenches are a set of amazing tools but regardless; they are more convenient for people who want to work freely without any opposition, cords and they are also for people who want to travel and carry it around wherever they want to go. These tools tend to make a professional’s job much easier giving them an edge without sacrificing any power the air-powered models are expected to make.
Factors to Consider when Getting the Best Impact Wrench
This is the list of the 10 best impact wrench you can get in the market. From about $100 to over $500, there are factors and features one needs to look into in both the premium and the budget products. This might decide if you want to go for the more expensive or less expensive version.
Below are factors one should look into when buying an impact wrench.
Impact wrenches can come in various sizes, shapes, and types but in this article, we will focus mostly on the type of impact wrench that looks exactly like a standard power drill. We have compiled this list as most impact wrenches are famously cordless models that look like the drill. These devices are also very simple to use. Because of the design of this tool, bear it in mind that grip is highly needed so you don’t Hugo out of the track during operation. A good grip should not be threatening to the arm, it is meant to be ergonomic and comfortable to hold with the trigger of the device placed at a convenient spot for easy access. It is also coated with a rubberized surface so that your hand doesn’t slip when you are using it.
Most cordless impact wrenches live and die becomes it runs mainly on battery. Most primary models are powered by Nickel-Cadmium battery packs. This type of energy source was discovered back in 1899 when the grandmother’s grandmother was having a huge crush on Teddy Roosevelt. Honestly, I think it is starting to show age.
If you aren’t on a budget, you might do yourself good by investing in a lithium-ion type of battery power. These types of battery not only hold an electrical charge but give it out at a more calculation and deliberate way. Meaning the give full power even at 10% just as power is given at 100%.Also, have it at the back of your mind that the battery voltage is the amount of power the battery can give off like Amp is the limited time it can hold an amount of charge. Both digits are very important and you need to pay attention to it when selecting the best impact wrench for your projects.
When getting a new impact wrench, you need to monitor the torque it is giving it as well as the IPM and the RPM which indicates how much power can be gotten from your motor. The higher the power of the device, the more convenient you are going to find your product because you would be able to handle more difficult projects.
Also, users need to determine if the motor of their device is brushless or not. Brushless Type of motors is always seen in high-end models because of the few bucks added to the price tag. Just to be clear brushless motors have no moving parts thus eradicating wear and tear making your device last for a longer period of time.
Benefits of Using a Cordless Impact Wrench
By buying a cordless impact wrench, you are taking power and enhancing your chances of mobility. Of course, there are advantages and disadvantages to both cordless and corded device but you must make sure to purchase one which the battery can take you deep into your project so you can fight the main disadvantage when it comes to cordless devices. Probably a pair would be enough for strenuous jobs. Irrespective of the fact, cordless devices are still more convenient than corded ones plugged to a power outlet.
One of the benefits of an impact wrench is power. Yes, we do know because if a regular wrench was up to the task, you would have done it. But the fact is that you need the power to fight and combat rusted or extremely fight nuts and bolts and that is the reason why this amazing device was actually built. They empower the user with the right amount of force to loosen any bolt or screw they come across.
Benefits of Using a Cordless Impact Wrench
Impact wrenches on their own are very sturdy and tough and they are also safely guarded by their well-designed housings making it hard to get into the device for any prominent maintenance, not they constantly require it anyway. Just clean your device with a rag after each use and use detergent or oil removal to clean off any chemicals or oil that spilled on it.
When it comes to the battery, it is a much different case and it is perhaps to the negative factor of production. It definitely needs to be carefully maintained so it can last longer and produce more power.
While searching for the best impact wrench, users would come across a variety of tools that would actually meet their requirements. To get one that handles your job perfectly, consider going through the reviews which would let you know more about each device’s strengths and weaknesses.
We hoped this review helped you, we are glad that you have made the right choice and we are also happy to assist you anytime.